Mom's Winding Road,  School Bus Stop

A Day in the Life of a Homeschool Ninja Mom

I love, love, love reading posts that are “A Day in the Life of…” I don’t know why getting a behind the scenes peek at someone’s life is fascinating, but it is! It’s probably the reason I read so many biographies!


I know that my blog is fairly new, so I wanted to introduce myself a little better by letting you get a peek behind the curtain at the insane thing that I call my life. It may get scary, it may get boring, but just know I did this for you.


Here we go…

6:00 a.m.

My FitBit watch vibrates waking me up….why?! Oh, right. I set it for that time so that I would get up and get things done before my early morning boy wakes up. Do I really need to get up right now?


6:12 a.m.

I have thoroughly assessed the situation and determined that my world will not implode if I lay here until 7:30 (hopefully 8!)….Do I have a plan for dinner? Nope. Crockpot meal it is!


6:45 a.m.

I hear him before I see him. My oldest son – KB – is not the lightest on his feet and always comes in to wake me up with a hug if I am not already out of bed. This morning I am met with sleepy eyes behind black framed glasses and a small smile. He hugs me and asks for his phone. I tell him fine as long as he’s watching something educational. He wanders out to the living room to curl up on the couch and I wonder again if it’s really worth the effort of getting up today. My husband snores and rolls over. I sigh and get up.


7:00 a.m.

After making sure my best friend – the coffee pot – is alive and making its wonderful, life-saving juice, I head to boot up my computer and laptop. While they get warmed up and ready for their long day I grab my bible and notebook and join my oldest on the couch. As I open my Bible for my morning study I make a mental note to get the crockpot started soon.


8:00 a.m.

My youngest – E – moseys downstairs still rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He finds me on the couch and crawls into my lap for the next 10 minutes. This is one of my favorite times of the day. I try to savor this moment and remember it for later when he turns into a tiny dictator. My oldest informs me that he could eat a whole cow and the youngest agrees. So I set aside E to watch a show with KB while I head to the kitchen for coffee and to see what I have to make a decent breakfast with. It may be a cereal kind of day. I feel like I am forgetting something, but for the life of me cannot remember what it is. #typicalmommoment


8:15 a.m.

I go in to wake up my husband with a cup full of coffee and let the pups out of their crate. After getting them outside I make breakfast for the KB and E. Eggs and toast. It’s a little better than cereal so I feel like it is a win for mom today. It’s the small things in life, friends! While they eat, I make sure our materials, books, and videos for the school day are ready to go. After the boys are done eating I send them upstairs to make their beds and get dressed. Let the grumbling ensue! My husband has wandered out by now to throw a glare in their direction that helps push them along a tad bit quicker.


9:00 a.m.

School starts! We school year round at the Campbell house. During the summer we focus on curriculum we didn’t get finished the past semester – which this summer was math – and we also keep up with our reading and writing curriculums.


9:07 a.m.

After fighting with my youngest to tell me what the letters are in the alphabet and getting my oldest to focus on reading a few pages in his book, the rest of the school day goes without a hitch…mostly. #Immarealist


10:30 a.m.

We are done with school for the day! The boys head outside to hang out with Dad and to do “man stuff,” which really just equates to them asking Dad a million questions while he works on a project in the garage. I have a blessed few minutes to myself, so I go through my email wondering why I have subscribed to so many different lists/classes. I see something that sparks an idea and head over to my blog to work for a bit.


11:30 a.m.

All 5 of my boys come clamoring inside wondering what’s for lunch. I finish up what I was working on and walk into the kitchen wondering what’s for lunch also. (Again, I get the feeling that I am forgetting something. I feel like I am so close to remembering I can taste it…) Hot ham and cheese sandwiches with chips is finally unanimously decided upon, and my husband and I get to work. Once everyone has a plate/bowl of food I sit for about 10 minutes to eat before I have to tidy up the kitchen.


12:15 p.m.

My husband goes to take a shower to get ready for work. I start to gather our library books that we’ve read through this last week, while the boys run to get ready to leave. After double and triple checking that I have everything we need I kiss my husband goodbye as he sits down to login – yep! He works from home! He recently got this job and it has been such a huge blessing for my family – and the boys and I head out to one of our favorite places in the whole world – Our Library. #wearenerdsandnotashamed


1:00 p.m.

A Wacky Wednesday Summer Reading program is in full swing and this momma gets another hour to herself. I pull out the novel that I have been lost in the last few days and fall into a fantasy land of heroes with super powers and villains with devious plans.


3:15 p.m.

The boys and I are home. They are eating a snack and I am trying to finish that last load of laundry. You know that load. The one that stays in your dryer and is “refreshed” about 15 times before you have to get it out because you have two weeks of laundry waiting to be washed and dried. Yea, that one. After moving the laundry to its new resting place for the next two weeks I pack the karate bag, gather the boys, kiss my husband again, and head out the door.


5:30 p.m.

We arrive at the YMCA and I tell my boys for the 373rd time that no we are not swimming today, no you cannot run a lap on the indoor track, and yes I do understand that it’s not fair that kids cannot use the exercise equipment. We walk to the family locker rooms to get them dressed for karate and I consider my life choices once again – doesn’t exercise help with stress??


7:15 p.m.

We walk in the door at home and I realize that I forgot to put something in the crockpot for dinner! That’s what was nagging me all day! Ugh!  Hey guys, it’s pizza night again! Cheers from the small people. I am a hero. My husband wanders out of the office on one of his breaks for the day and just smiles. The pups bark and I realize that I forgot to feed them as well. I tried, friends, I tried. #writethatonmytombstone


8:30 p.m.

Showers are done, teeth are brushed, and we are reading our second book of the night. My youngest loves to ask a million questions to stall the process and my oldest is just happy to be reading with me. We go in to give Dad goodnight kisses and howl at the moon. We’re a WolfPack. Read more about that here. As I am tucking my boys in and we are talking about the day my amazing KB pipes up and says, “Hey, Mom, you know you’re like a ninja right? Like a ninja mom.” Puzzled I ask him what that means. He says, “You’re everywhere all the time. You take care of us. And you always know where my lost Lego pieces are. Ninja mom.” My heart is bursting out of my chest with pride and love that all I can do is hug him. All the stress, all the arguments, all the running around and this boy brings me back down to Earth; shows me what’s really important about life. #ninjamom


9:00 p.m.

I power walk through the house picking up small disasters and wondering for the millionth time where I put my phone. (Ninja mom apparently can’t help herself.) There’s no mess in the kitchen tonight – because pizza – I cheer and head to my room to put on comfy clothes.


9:22 p.m.

I find my phone under a stack of papers on my desk. No new messages – whew! I check my email and social media pages again. Tons of new messages – I was so close! I buckle down to work for a couple of hours.


11:30 p.m.

Teeth are brushed and I am snuggled into bed lost in my novel again. I come up out of the fog occasionally to brain dump my thoughts on the pad of paper that I keep on my nightstand. My husband is in the middle of a soccer game where the players are cars and the ball is 100x the size of a normal one – he’s a gamer and I love him for it. #weareallnerds The pups are curled up around my legs creating a blissful ball of warmth – I dive back into my novel.


12:00 a.m.

My eyes are drooping and my husband has finished his game. As we turn out the lights I think that crockpot chicken enchilada soup sounds good for dinner tomorrow, but I am too tired to write it on my pad of paper…so I really hope I remember in the morning….

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *